Thursday, January 12, 2012

Open Sign Up #1 - 1/9/12

Right Click/Ctrl-Click to Download Open Sign Up #1 Here

It's that magical time of year when the WCBN DJs sign up for random slots, submit their slot preferences for the coming semester, and wait for the program director to decide a worthy time for them. Thus how I now have a MUCH better slot this semester, and I can be a human again.

(you get this auf Deutsch because I'm a dork)

Something interesting that happened today was that I picked a slot before Free Speech Radio News (FSRN), which happens Monday-Thursday here at WCBN from 5:30-6pm. It's not a big deal to do, since you just downloaded/stream the news and hang out until it's done, but I'm glad to actually have done it.

I had a couple of good layers, and when I went in I felt really good about the set, but I got a call from a listener while I was layering the Camus and Russian choral song that really jarred me. This was generally what it was like:
<hella awkward conversation>
Me: WCBN!
Him: Je ne comprends pas.
Me: Excuse me, I don't understand.
Him: Exactly. I don't understand what you're playing.
Me: What?
Him: I don't know what he's saying. It's all in French. How am I supposed to know what's going on?
Me: Well, it's "The Stranger" by Albert Camus layered with some Russian chorus music.
Him: Oh ok. Is it his birthday or something?
Me: No, I just wanted to play it. It's pretty, right?
Him: I still don't understand what he's saying, so I don't know if it is.
Me: All right. Um, well thanks for calling.
</hella awkward conversation>
It shouldn't have bothered me so much, but it left me with a really bad taste in my mouth, that I just couldn't shake. I tried to mentally give him the good ol' F.U., but it really made the next 1/3 of my set feel kind of off. This is a good lesson though:

Clickity click on this for the .gif
Another thing I did today was read some poetry and prose from a book I bought at the Kerrytown BookFest awhile ago, which was published through a collaboration with 826 Michigan and The Neutral Zone in Ann Arbor, which features young writers (anywhere from 5-17 years old, I think). I originally bought it for my mom, who recently retired from being a first grade teacher, as an example for her class to keep working hard on their writing, but I guess I kind of kept it. Flipping through the book, I was really amazed by the quality writing coming out of these kids and teenagers. It says a lot about both the kids, and the quality writing workshops that happen at 826 Michigan and The Neutral Zone. Also, now that I'm looking at both of these websites, I'm really impressed with both of these organizations. Good job Ann Arbor. 

To the playlist!

[Artist: Song - Album]
  1. Stevie Wonder: Can I Get A Witness - I Was Made To Love Her
  2. Hradistan: Karneval - Carohrani
  3. Giberto Gil: Vendedor de caranguejo - Quanta
  4. Mahalia Jackson: Since The Fire Started - The World's Greatest Gospel Singer Mahalia Jackson Sings
  5. Dennis Scott: Mudhole of Mine - Songs That Tickle Your Funny Bone Vol. III
  6. King Tee: Freestyle Ghetto Instrumental - Free Style Ghetto/Let's Get It On
  7. Black Joe Lewis & The Honey Bears: Livin' In The Jungle - Scandalous
  8. End Times Orchestra: Secrets - End Times Orchestra
  9. GD Luxxe: Changed Body - The 20th Door
  10. [EAS TEST]
  11. U.S.S.R. Russian Chorus: Snow, All Around - The White Birch Tree & Other Russian Songs
  12. Albert Camus: L'Étranger - Albert Camus Reading From His Novels & Essays
  13. Ezekiel Honig: Falling Down - People Places & Things
  14. Francisco Aguabella: Watermelon Man - agua de cuba
  15. various artists: Bal plin - Sonneurs de Clarinette en Bretagne
  16. Johanna Beyer: The Federal Music Project - Sticky Melodies
  17. Doug Yokohama: Relations (Mother's and Father's) - identities
  18. Europa: El Misterio De Los Tomates Electricos - La ultima emoción
  19. unknown: Widgie the Walking Whale - Widgie the Walking Whale
  20. Heresy Of The Free Spirit: A Prayer For Light - A Prayer For Light
  21. whales: various whale sounds - Deep Voices
  22. Ringo Death Starr: Two Girls - Ringo Death Starr
  23. Patrick O'Hagan: The lark in the clear air - Dear Little Shamrock
  24. Loga Ramin Torkian: Gavan - Mehraab
  25. The Budos Band: Golden Dunes - III
  26. Koji Kondo: Menu Selection - The Legend of Zelda: Wind Waker
  27. Shinobu Tanaka: Menu - Luigi's Mansion OST
  28. Nintendo: Title Screen - Animal Crossing GC OST
  29. Birdsongs of the Mesozoic: (Excerpts from) The Rite of Spring - Dawn of the Cycads
  30. Adelaide: games without end - Adelaide
  31. Kodaly Quartet: String Quartet No. 1 in G Minor Op. 10, Tré modéré - Debussy-Ravel String Quartets
  32. Chorus of the Opera House, Rome: The Humming Chorus - Highlights from Madama Butterfly
  33. Tiny Tim: I Saw Mr. Presley Tip-Toeing Through The Tulips - I Love Me
  34. Thee Michelle Gun Elephant: West Cabaret Drive - Gear Blues
  35. Einstürzende Neubauten: Ich bin's - Strategies Against Architecture II
  36. DJ Shadow: Artifact - The Outsider
  37. The Black: Green Leaves - Sun In The Day Moon At Night
  38. Randy Grief: Octobus Robot - War of the Worlds
  39. Anders Osborn: Had My Reasons - Living Room
  40. Earth Wind And Fire: Moonwalk - Electric Universe
Livin' in the Jungle:
  1. Camus and Russian Chorus: Despite the hater calling in, this was my favorite part of the set. I thought it was absolutely gorgeous. Also, it reminds me that I need to check the new music LP section more often.
  2. Rite of Spring: I've been meaning to play this for a few months, but I keep forgetting until it's too late. I really loved this version of Rite of Spring, and I'm gonna go back and see if there are any more rock versions of classical songs from these guys. 
  3. Earth Wind and Fire: Soul saves the day once again. 
Dyin' in the Jungle:
  1. Green Leaves: There's no way to stop this from happening, because really it's just an accident, but sometimes it happens that you're playing a song on one CD deck, and you want to play around and find another song on another deck, but you get confused which is which and then you STOP the song from the deck you're actually playing. Oops. 
  2. Looped tracks: So I'll let you in on a secret...sometimes if I'm not sure if I can find a long enough track to layer with my voice while I read announcements, I'll play a looping track from my computer. I did this 3 times in a row while I was announcing today. I'm not sure if this is good, but I do like playing video game music for you all!
  3. Mudhole song: Hm it was a little hokey for me, but I guess that's the point, right? Hahaha.
Leave suggestions and comments!

2 comments:

  1. After talking about childhood memories with family over the holidays, I just listened to Dennis Scott: Mudhole of Mine - Songs That Tickle Your Funny Bone Vol. III.... LOVE IT

    ReplyDelete