Thursday, January 5, 2012

Subshow #12 - 1/2/12

Right Click/Ctrl-Click to Download Subshow #12 Here

Hi again.

Despite feeling rather ill, I'm really glad that I picked up this show for Noah H2O, because I had a blast. Not only did I feel great about the variety of music that I selected, but the piece of layering that I did with "We Are The Strange" was unlike anything I have ever done before, but hopefully something that I can do again.

I've been trying to break down the experience of what I'm going to call the "We Are The Strange" layering, and this is what I've come up with: I've been to anxious. Not always, but usually when I layer, I try to time things perfectly, and create enough variety in the layering materials so that each element comes through clearly. This layering was totally different though. I impulsively used this movie, because it was something I wanted to watch, and something that I thought would sound really cool on the radio. I chose the various sound effects because I thought they were creepy and weird. I chose the "Exoricism Ritual" and tabla tracks kind of for the same reason. There was less thinking involved, but created a much clearer vision of what I wanted because I had the same essential idea: I want to make this sound creepy/weird/cool. I could have said, "I chose canine heart sounds because it creates more space in the overall soundscape, which allows room for the movie music and aircraft carrier sounds to bleed through, without overwhelming it." This is true, but that was not the exact thought that came to my mind at the time. It pains me a bit to say it, but it was much less intellectual, and much more instinctual.

Also, I had a listener call in at the end of the night, and he had listened to THE ENTIRE set. I was amazed, and totally humbled by how awesome WCBN listeners are. As a DJ, I'm never really sure if anyone's listening, but over time I've become completely comfortable speaking to myself over the radio, because I have a lot of faith that AT LEAST one person is listening to me. I'm not alone. I'm never alone when I'm in the radio station.
[Artist: Song - Album]
  1. Sage Francis: I Was Zero - LI(F)E
  2. Frog Pocket: Carac Cyls - Gonglot
  3. Polysics: Making Sense - Neu
  4. Yildrim Gürses: Ayrilik Mektubu - Hossadâ
  5. Jerry Lee Lewis: What's Made Milwaukee Famous (Has Made A Loser Out Of Me) - Milestones
  6. Jamiroquai: Too Young To Die - Emergency On Planet Earth
  7. Lilian Terry and Dizzy Gillespie: A Night in Tunisia - Oo-Shoo-Be-Doo-Be
  8. Rabbit Joint Cover: The Legend of Zelda - unknown
  9. Los De Abajo: Los Lunáticos - LDA v. The Lunatics
  10. Rasputina: Transylvanian Concubine (Yes Sir, Mr. Sir Mix (Club Mix)) - Transylvanian Regurgitations
  11. Xeno & Oaklander: Toho Picture - Sentinelle
  12. Xeno & Oaklander: Nuit - Sentinelle
  13. YMCK: Magical 8bit Tour - Family Tour
  14. Pierce Pettis: Depending on Gravity - Making Light Of It
  15. The Gaslight Singers: Every Night - Gaslight Singers
  16. Nuclear Powered Aircraft Carrier Sound: Various Sound Effects - Nuclear Powered Aircraft Carrier Effects
  17. Movie: We Are The Strange
  18. Fast Domino: Blue Monday - Fast Domino Swings
  19. Canine Heart Sounds: Various Sound Effects - Canine Heart Sounds
  20. Yeshe Dorje Rinpoche: Shedur: A Ghost Exorcism Ritual - Tibetan Buddhism
  21. Ustad Nizamuddin Khan: Vilambit - Ustad Nizamuddin Khan, tabla
  22. Lexxus: Get Wid It - Mr. Lex
  23. White Zombie: Thunder Kiss '65 - Night Crawlers: The KMFDM Remixes
  24. LCD Soundsystem: Tired - LCD Soundsystem
  25. Outkast feat. Sleepy Brown & Scar: Peaches - Idlewild
  26. Karol Stoch: Spiew Juhasa [Song of the Young Shepherd] - Fire In The Mountains vol. 1
  27. Bio Ritmo: La Mano Arriba - Salsa Galactica
  28. The Danse Society: Seduction - Demos Vol. 1
  29. Michael Liggins & the Super Souls: Loaded To The Gills - Eccentric Soul 011
  30. Early Music Quartet, Munich: Bruck: Aus tiefer not - Sacred Songs and Instrumental Music of Luther's Time
  31. Zeroed: Superb Dementia (Toper Mix) - Zero Zero
  32. The Foxglove Hunt: Love My Way - Stop Heartbeat
  33. DJ Icey: Galaxo (Edit) - Galaxy of Breaks
  34. Paris Combo: Trois Petits Points - Attraction
  35. Mega-Mousse: L'Arge Perdu - Musical Monogram
  36. Soweto Gospel Choir: Thina Simnqobile - Voices From Heaven
  37. Rob Curto: Feira de Mangaio - Forro' For All
  38. Danny Cohen: The Desert - Museum of Danny
  39. Serge Gainsbourg: Baudelaire - Love And The Beat 1
We Are The Best:
  1. We Are the Strange: This was the best idea I've ever had. And truthfully, part of it came out of me being sick and wanting a break from running around the station. 
  2. Sage Francis: I'm not sure why I wanted to start the show off like this, but I'm glad that I did. It put me a good place, and started the show differently than how I normally do (whatever that is).
  3. YMCK: I forgot about this band until I was browsing my Grooveshark favorited tracks! Probably some of the most upbeat chiptunes you'll ever hear.
We Are The Strange:
  1. Xenoxeno: I didn't mean to play another track of Xeno & Oaklander. Not that I don't love them, but I just missed fading out the first song before the second song came on. 
  2. Sneezing: Unavoidable, but really annoying. Sorry about that guys. 
I can't wait for you to listen to this. I would also love to know what you think! Shoot me a comment or an e-mail if you have some time!

No comments:

Post a Comment