Tuesday, January 3, 2012

Radiozilla #2 - 1/1/12


RAWWWWR!!!



That's Zilla for "HEY I LOVE YOU HAPPY NEW YEAR!" 

This set seemed really tight to me. I really liked what I was playing, the transitions were good, and I felt like I was constantly busy doing something, which is good for an hour show. Something I realized about myself while DJing Radiozilla is that as far as an hour show is concerned, I never want to play anything that's too downbeat. Almost all of these tracks are upbeat, or at least have some sort of pulse underneath. I almost played some avant-garde Japanese stuff (you know, no beat, no key, etc.) but I just couldn't do it.

It's always a funny balance of playing my personal library and the WCBN library. For the most part I try to play as much WCBN music as possible, since everything's so good here, but when it comes to specialty shows, a large part of me starts to scream, "Hey! Listen to this! Isn't this cool! I have cool music too!" Especially with Japanese music this is true, because I used to listen to it a lot, so I have all these bands floating in my head that we just don't have in the library. Because of how tight the set turned out, I'm inclined to think that I made a good decision today, but it's something that I want to be careful not to get comfortable with.

Also, here's the translation for Onaji yoru, if you're interested. Romaji, Kanji, and English are all there. 

[Artist: Song - Album]
  1. Plastics: Robot - Plastics
  2. Polysics: Walky Talky - Now is the time!
  3. Yoshida Brothers: Morricone - III
  4. Fantastic Plastic Machine: Bon Voyage + L'aventure Fantastique - The Fantastic Plastic Machine
  5. TM Revolution: MID-NITE WARRIORS - triple joker
  6. Lab Life: World Wide Love Song - Japan Not For Sale vol. 2
  7. Shiina Ringo: Onaji yoru - Muzai Moratorium
  8. Suppa Micro Pamchopp: Maimerodii - Obake
  9. Yohihito Yano, Saki Kabata: Lonely Rolling Star - Katamari Damacy OST
  10. Akiko Yano: Soredakede Ureshii (That's All It Takes) - Piano Nightly
  11. Makoto Kawamoto: 1/2 - Rurouni Kenshin: The Best Theme Collection
  12. Uzume Taiko: Chirashi - Chirashi
  13. Yoko Kanno & The Seatbelts: Ask DNA - Cowboy Bebop OST
  14. Dog Hair Dressers: Orange Juice - Japan For Sale
  15. Junichi Masuda: The Road to Cerulean from Mt. Moon - Pokemon OST
  16. Nobuo Uematsu, Junya Nakano, Masashi Hamauzu: Chocobo Jam - Final Fantasy X OST
Japan For Sale:
  1. Pokemon: What better way to start the New Year than with some motivation video game music? No way, that's what.
  2. Plastics: This is one of the few Japanese rock LPs in the library I think, so I'm happy to play it for you. I really like it actually, so maybe I'll play it on my freeform show sometime.
  3. Shiina Ringo: This song is near and dear to my heart, and I'm very happy to share it with you. It tends to break hearts, so watch out. 
Japan Not For Sale:
  1. Too much from comp?: I'm not sure about this, but I played quite a few from my personal library, which I don't normally do. It's not that I didn't have enough CDs--I had more than enough, believe you me--but I really wanted to share some of these tracks with you for this show. Nevertheless, I'm wondering whether it was a good thing. What do you think?
Thanks for listening to the New Year's Marathon, brought to you by Freestailo, Inc. We hope to be serving you in the near future. 

No comments:

Post a Comment