Saturday, July 21, 2012

Dead White Guys #3 - 7/15/12

Right Click/Ctrl-Click to Download Dead White Guys #3 Here

Although I didn't play a lot of tracks for this show, I had a lot of fun with what I played. I retrospectively played a lot of vocal music, but I never apologize for that, and I can only hope that you enjoy it. I don't think there was a boring moment for me, and it felt really good to play the full set of 'Das Buch der Hängende Gärten', as well as the entire 'Also Sprach Zarathustra'.

I think I had a really good mix today, and I'm glad that I allowed myself to play longer tracks, which is kind of a self-experiment that I've been trying lately, like with the latest Sounds of the Subcontinent episode I did. I also have been thinking a lot about the way that I actually play the music. It's a hotly debated topic amongst DJs about whether we should talk over music, or whether we shouldn't. There's no wrong way to do it, but DJs can be passionate about what they think is a good way to do it. Personally, as you can hear, I like to speak over music. I think it adds something to the way that I speak, and just feel more comfortable having something underneath me, and makes it sonically more interesting. That said though, I often get very uncomfortable speaking over classical music on a classical show, because I've heard from some listeners that they REALLY hate when I talk over music that they might want to experience as a whole, from start to finish. I can completely understand that, but it is definitely a different way of doing radio than I'm used to.

What do you think? Do you mind when a DJ talks over music? I want to know!

[Artist: Song - Album]
  1. Pierre Charial: Capriccio No. 1 - György Ligeti: Mechanical Music
  2. London Philharmonic Orchestra: Cantus - 'Song of the Odyssey' - Karl Jenkins: Adiemus 2 Cantata Mundi
  3. Emanuel Ax: Variations on "Là ci darem la mano," Op. 2 for Piano and Orchestra (Largo) - Chopin: Piano Concerto No. 1 in E Minor, etc.
  4. London Chamber Singers & Chamber Orchestra: The Indian Queen Acts III, IV, & V - Purcell: The Indian Queen
  5. Angela Hewitt: La Verneüille (from Dix-huitième Ordre) - Couperin: Le Grand
  6. Jennifer Lane: Das Buch der Hängende Gärten (complete) - Schoenberg: Das Buch der Hängende Gärten
  7. L'Orchestre de la Suisse Romande: La Valse - Ravel: Ravel's Head
  8. Staatsoper Berlin Chorus and Orchestra: Overture & Act I, Scene 1 - Wagner: Der Fliegende Holländer (The Flying Dutchman)
  9. L'ensemble Diabolus in Musica: Introït, Kyrie, and Gloria - Dufay: Missa se la face ay pale
  10. Vienna Philharmonic: Also Sprach Zarathustra - Strauss: Also Sprach Zarathustra
Angelus:
  1. Schoenberg: I could definitely listen to this all day, and I have no idea way. I really like atonal music, and the Sprechstimme (unpitched speak-sing thing) is so interesting to me as a performer, as well as a listener. I really, really hope you enjoyed this set. I also encourage you to check out the translations/text for it!
  2. Strauss: I never get sick of Strauss, and I hadn't heard this piece before. I didn't realize how epic this was, or that this was where that theme that's right at the beginning came from that sometimes you'll hear in commercials/movies I think. 
Diabolus:
  1. I wasn't really unhappy with anything, to be honest. I thought this was a great show. Maybe sometimes I'm awkward on the mic, but that's about it!
Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment