Friday, August 3, 2012

Subshow #17 - 7/18/12

Right Click/Ctrl-Click to Download Subshow #17 Here

Since Saramin wanted to go off and do A2 Art Fair stuff methinks, I took her show! Yay! I know this post took a long time, but I promise it'll be worth it. I love a lot of the stuff I played, and it's always fun to get outside of my 9am-noon slot to bring some music to you. For this particular episode I had a guest with me, which was super fun, and should happen way more often.

Also, let me put this out here: if any of you ever want to come to my show. I mean, come IN PERSON to my show, please just give me a holler. I like to think I'm a pretty friendly person, and you could even help me pick out music and I can show you around. There's this thing called the 6 O'Clock Shadow we have every Friday at 6pm where we invite listeners to come in and try out the DJ thing, but don't let that limit you to when you can come to the studio. We are always in need of new DJs, and I bet if you like WCBN, then you probably have thought about what it's like.

Anyway, onto the music. 

[Artist: Song - Album]
  1. Michna: Triple Chrome Dipped - Magic Monday
  2. Lynn Gold: Sweet Potatoes - Lynn Gold
  3. Cristian Vogel: La Isla Piscola (For The Traveling Fish Lover Version) - La Isla Piscola
  4. Les Go De Koteba: Kele Magni - Les Go De Koteba
  5. Red Krayola: Bad Medicine - Fingerpainting
  6. Rasputina: High On Life - Frustration Plantation
  7. Flaco Jimenez: Mala Movida - Buena Suerte, Señorita
  8. Cataract: with Triumph comes Loss - with Triumph comes Loss
  9. Les Rita Mits Ouko: Marcia Baila - The No Comprendo
  10. Elena Kats-Chernin: Green Leaf Prelude - Ragtime & Blue
  11. Huun-Huur-Tu: Xöömeyimny Kagbas-La Men (I Will Not Abandon My Xöömei) - Where Young Grass Grows
  12. Danny Stewart: Silhouette Hula - Hawaiian Favorites
  13. General D + Funk 'N Lata: Sobi Esse Pano, Mano - Onda Sonora
  14. rephlex: Jelly Fish - cat 027cd
  15. Mad Gregs: Twelve Tone - Big Nun
  16. Ladysmith Black Mambazo: Kangivumanga (I Disagreed) - Thuthukani Ngoxolo (Let's develop in peace)
  17. The Volumes: Ain't Gonna Give You Up - Detroit Gold
  18. Paul Tripp: Snow White and Red Rose - Snow White and Red Rose
  19. Ether: 35' 45N 139' 45E - music for air raids
  20. Niederflur: Bahnhof Deutz/Messe - Minus
  21. Osborne: Afrika - Afrika EP
  22. Fugees: Take It Easy (Radio Edit) - Take It Easy
  23. Tegan and Sara: Knife Going In - The Con
  24. The Vienna New Symphony: Rosamunde Overture - Schubert: Unfinished Symphony, etc.
  25. Cosmetic: So Tranquilization - So Tranquilization
  26. New York City Gay Men's Chorus: I Hear Bells - Love Lives On
Highs:
  1. Snow White and Red Rose: This layering was a lot of fun, and I kind of was planning it from the beginning of the show, and waiting for a good time to bring it out. I've been reading a lot of Fables, and the character Red Rose is in it, but I had never heard of her, despite my self-proclaimed knowledge of fairy tales. The thing about the comic series is that it's a bit darker and more mature than other versions of these fairy tales you might have heard, so I wanted to emphasize that with the Ether and Niederflur tracks that I layered along with it.
  2. Cataract: This was a nice mid-length track to play, which is a nice balance between the really short thrash-core metal songs, and the 20-minute stoner metal songs you can find around the station. I love me some metal guys.
  3. Fugees: I'm kind of obsessed with them right now, and I think that I need to play more. 
Lows:
  1. Gay Men's Chorus?: This wasn't as good as I thought it would be, but I think that the fact that it's a Gay Men's Chorus makes up for it. Hahaha.
  2. General awkwardness: I was a little distracted sometimes during the show, so some of the transitions weren't perfect, but sometimes that happens when I'm by myself anyway, so whatever.
Thanks for listening as always! Get ready for more updates!

No comments:

Post a Comment