|Oh, hello there.|
To celebrate our independence, and subsequently the independence of being able to put millions upon millions of cat pictures on the internet, throughout this post I'm going to give you lots of American themed cats, like this guy.
This 4th of July, I willfully let WCBN take my entire day from me, and I regret nothing. I woke up early and headed to the Canterbury house where we congregated before heading over to the Ann Arbor 4th of July Parade. "What would WCBN do in a parade?" you might ask. Well, we had a MARCHING BAND! Spreading music the only way we know how: freeform style. As a side note, if you happened to be there and have pictures, please feel free to contact us so we can see them!
After the parade, I met up with my roommates and headed to Starbucks for some free coffee, which I SO DID NOT NEED because I was still hyper from the parade, and continued to be while we got ice cream at Washtenaw Dairy, and THEN STILL once I got home and started to do research for the July 4th Sex & Tell special, which pretty much took me the rest of the day, while I stayed in the air-conditioning of my apartment.
I cannot tell you how much fun my time at the station was this day. Even though I messed up a few times, and there were some frustrating moments, there's something special about sharing music with everyone on a holiday that makes up for it. I've DJed on holidays before, and there's an energy that cannot be contained when the whole world/country/state/city is sharing something like a holiday with each other, and you get to create a living and breathing playlist for it.
|This is a cat with a red and white star cello.|
Anyway, I really hope you enjoy this playlist, and I hope that you all had a loving, drunken holiday.
[Artist: Song - Album]
- Kazumi Totaka: Fireworks Festival - Animal Crossing GC OST
- Richard Tucker and Philip Maero: Dovunque al mondo - Puccini: Madama Butterfly
- Galaxie 500: Fourth of July - This Is Our Music
- Rammstein: Amerika - Reise, Reise
- The Beach Boys: Surfin' USA - Endless Summer
- Chanticleer: Camptown Races - Our American Journey
- Funkadelic: One Nation Under Groove Pt. 1 and 2
- Steve Earle: American v. 6.0 - Jerusalem
- exileFaker: redshift - Ockham's Chainsaw
- Kris Ellestad: White As A Feather - No Man Is Land
- CHOCOLAT: Blue Mint Blue - Japan Not For Sale Vol. 2
- Robert Shaw Festival Singers: Hark, I Hear The Harps Eternal - Amazing Grace American Hymns and Spirituals
- Cat Power: American Flag - Moon Pix
- British Sea Power: Waving Flags - Do You Like Rock Music?
- Yann Tiersen: La redécouverte - Amelie from Montmarte (Bande originale du film)
- Anamanaguchi: Helix Nebula - Power Supply
- Eels: In Gratitude For This Magnificent Day - Tomorrow Morning
- Nina Simone: July Tree - Four Women
- The Andrews Sisters: Boogie Woogie Bugle Boy - Boogie Woogie Bugle Boy/Rum and Coca Cola
- The Sex Pistols: God Save The Queen - The Swindle Continues
- V for Vendetta: Ending Scene (1812 Overture) - V for Vendetta (movie)
- Louis Armstrong: Red Cap - Alexander's Ragtime Band
- My Dear Disco: White Lies (Radio Edit) - My Dear Disco EP
- Leonard Berstein: America - West Side Story (1957 Original Cast)
- Tom Brosseau: Favorite Color Blue - Posthumous Success
- Animal Collective: In The Flowers - Merriweather Post Pavilion
- Dianne Steinberg, Stargard: Lucy In The Sky With Diamonds - Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band
- Asobi Seksu: Red Sea - Citrus
- T.M. Revolution: WHITE BREATH -MORE FREEZE MIX- - triple joker
- Damo: Deep Blue - Seven
- Madama Butterfly: I absolutely love this opera, and I really love this segment of the opera because it is just RIFE with sarcasm and irony. Although the sound is patriotic, the content is a big vulgar, and makes a big statement about how the characters represent America.
- Andrews Sisters: I'm in love with this 45", and I'm glad I got to play the other side of it! Honestly, I could play an entire show of just this stuff. Mmmm.
- V for Vendetta clip: This is one of my top-5 favorite movies, and I think the ideas of empowering the people to change the government are powerful, and something that we should all take a good look at for our own government(s).
- Wrong Animal Collective Song: I'm not even going to lie to you, I was really pissed when I played "In The Flowers" instead of "My Girls." This was one of the main songs I wanted to sing over the course of the show, and I messed it up. You don't even want the know the things I was screaming in the station.
- Not Beatles: Also another mistake RIGHT AFTER the Animal Collective mistake, which pissed me off even more. Let me be honest with you: I was positively livid. But things pass, radio keeps going. C'est la vie.
- Too much laptop: I thought that I knew where a lot of this music was in the station, but when I got there I couldn't find all of it, and ended up using my laptop for at least a third of the songs on this list. I don't like that, and I'm sorry. It's not fair to you or me or freeform radio.
Thanks for listening! Hope you had a great holiday. Stay locked in.