Saturday, July 21, 2012

Sounds of the Subcontinent #2 - 7/15/12

Right Click/Ctrl-Click to Download Sounds of the Subcontinent #2 Here


SURPRISE! I subbed Sounds of the Subcontinent for David, so now you get to listen to some awesome Indian music from our library. I happened to be at the station doing Radiozilla, when I got a call from David Schlitt, asking if I could sub for him, and if I was in the area. I was literally sitting in front of the console like a boss, so I took it. 

I love this show, because it gives me a chance to play long tracks that I might not otherwise feel like I'm allowed to play on my freeform show, like how with Radiozilla I'm able to play lots of Japanese stuff all together. I can sit back and really enjoy the music instead of running around and trying to fill up time.

[Artist: Song - Album]
  1. Zakir Hussain: Nines Over Easy - Zakir Hussain and the Rhythm Experience
  2. Tabla Beat Science: Secret Channel - Tala Matrix
  3. M. Saeed Chisti: (track 3) - Qari Sage Miran
  4. Dissidenten: Jungle Book Part 1 - The Jungle Book
  5. Rahul Sharma: Maqam-E-Navaa - Music of the Himalayas
  6. Ustad Vilayat Khan (sitar): Jor - Raga Bhairavi
  7. Ashwin Batish: Sitar Magic - Sitar Power
  8. Jody Stecher & Krishna Bhatt: Blue Mountain - rasa
  9. The Cheetah Girls: One World - One World Soundtrack
  10. Gour Goswami & Steven Gorn: Rag Marwa/Sunset Raga - The Indian Bamboo Flute
Good stuff:
  1. Tabla Beat Science: I really love these guys, and I love the mix of sounds that they create. I could definitely listen to the entire album all the way through.
  2. Zakir Hussain: I don't know what it is about this guy, but he brings this really jazzy edge to his songs that I love. 
Not so good stuff:
  1. Blue Mountain: This did not sound like Indian music whatsoever. It was in the Indian music section, and it had a sitar on the front, but it was definitely not what I was looking for. I even got a call from a listener about whether it was still Sounds of the Subcontinent or not. *headdesk* Not to self: preview tracks longer than 5 seconds.
See you soon! Thanks for listening!

No comments:

Post a Comment