Saturday, May 19, 2012

Open Sign-Up #2/Sounds of the Sub-Continent #1 - 5/6/12

Right Click/Ctrl-Click to Download Open Sign-Up #2/Sounds of the Subcontinent #1 Here

So I went into the station with the intention of playing freeform, because it's open sign-up, right? Well, that didn't seem to sit well with the guys there, and said that a lot of people would get angry if I didn't play the regularly scheduled programming of Sound of the Sub-Continent. I didn't really think anything of this, because my gut reaction is, "Don't tell me what to do. I play what I want. This is WCBN." Immediately after thinking this though, and hitting play on my interview with Sahar, I got a call from a listener who wanted to know when the schedule changed, and when Sounds of the Subcontinent was on now. Kind of surprised I told him it hadn't gone anywhere, but that it was open-sign up, and that I would play some Sounds after the interview.

That's when I really realized how much people love us, without us knowing it sometimes. That man probably tunes in every week to hear Sounds of the Subcontinent, and he probably doesn't get to listen to Indian music most of the week otherwise. The moral I learned is that people are listening whether you think they are or not.

Also, I previously wrote a review for Sahar Nouri's master's recital, and here is the interview that I conducted with her!

[Artist: Song - Album]
  1. Heidi Madagame and Sahar Nouri: Interview with Sahar Nouri
  2. P. Suseela/S. Rajeswari/S. Janaki: Isaiyarasi - Doob Doob O' Rama
  3. Unknown: Radio Calcutta #2 - Radio India Vol. 2
  4. K.S. Chithra: Kaiyodu Ennai - K.S. Chithra
  5. Pandit Shivkumar Sharma (santoor), Zakir Hussain (tabla): Drut Gat - Shivkumar Sharma
  6. Arati Ankalikar-Tikekar: Drut Bandish In Tintal - Arati Ankalikar-Tikekar
  7. Sumkali: Tala Thali - Mandali
Thanks for listening! Keep checking back for updates! 

No comments:

Post a Comment