Saturday, October 15, 2011

Subshow #5 - 10/13/11

Right Click/Ctrl-Click to Download Subshow #5 Here

Hi sleepwalkers.

So I had the brilliant idea to sub for James/Corey on Wednesday night/Thursday morning at 3-6am in the middle of the week. In some ways, it was the worst idea possible because of the total lack of sleep that I've had this entire week. In some ways it was great, because it forced me to go to bed at a reasonable hour.

Orson Welles, y'all.
Anyway, this was a good show guys. I've been listening to it, and I can confirm this. I enjoyed my balance this show, despite using more of the rock section than I intended. That is all beside the point though, because what I really want to talk about is the 'War of the Worlds' broadcast by Orson Welles that I played. I've been wanting to play this for a long time. Ever since I listened to Radiolab's segment about the original broadcast, and about its effect on listeners, and how it has been repeated with success absolutely stunned me. It was the first time that I realized that radio could really have a profound effect on its listeners, and that I also had that power as a DJ. I'm definitely not saying that as a WCBN DJ I can play 'War of the Worlds' and actually make you believe that martians are coming to Ann Arbor--I  have more faith in you than that--but it made me realize that I have the power to make you feel things you might not have known you could feel. Hear things that you didn't know existed. Combine sounds to created complicated emotions. Maybe I'm getting a little gushy, but this is why I love radio.

Something that I tried to do intentionally this time around was to keep long tracks playing without layering them constantly. I definitely layered tracks, and those were very special moments, but I reigned in my musical-ADD to account for how the listener would perceive changes in a set. For me, 4 minutes may seem like a long time, and it may feel that I need to change songs sooner, or layer something so that the listener doesn't get bored...but really it's just ME who is trying not to get bored. I think I need to learn how to relax and let music do its own job.

Here's the list!

[Artist: Song - Album]
  1. Adjust: Escape from Detroit - Adjust
  2. Angel Villoldo: El Choclo - The Tango Project
  3. Illogic featuring Blueprint: Intro+The Only Constant - Celestial Clockwork
  4. Catalyst: Athene - The Complete Recordings vol. 2
  5. Red Red Meat: Variations on Nadia's Theme - Bunny Gets Paid
  6. Caroline: Winter - Caroline
  7. Orson Welles: War of the Worlds (original broadcast)
  8. Brizbomb: 070510AT05 - Radio Promo
  9. Alban Berg Quartett: Mozart: String Quartet KV 516 in g minor - Mozart: String Quartets 3&4
  10. Brizbomb: 070304BP01 - Radio Promo
  11. Koji Kondo: Majora's Mask Theme - The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask OST
  12. Billie Holiday: Everything Happens to Me - The Voice of Jazz
  13. Prof. Debu Chaudhuri (sitar), Shafaat Ahmed Khan (tabla): Raga Desh: Alap and Jor - Prof. Debu Chaudhuri
  14. Animal Collective: The Purple Bottle - feels
  15. Old Empire: Queen City - Queen City Quandaries
  16. Edd Henry: Your Replacement Is Here - Eccentric Soul 009
  17. Errol Garner: Mistry - Sachal Jazz
  18. Slayer: Killing Fields - Divine Intervention
  19. Ectomorph: Ritmos Siniestro - Dada/Ritmo Siniestro
  20. Goethe: Erlkönig - YouTube
  21. Pía Leiva: Francisco Guayabal - Soneros de Verdad Presents: Pía Leiva
  22. Tokyo Police Club: Graves - Elephant Shell
  23. Jørgen Tjønnstaul: Urjen - Dei fyrste åra på radio
  24. Cat Power: The Greatest - The Greatest
  25. BrandonFX: "Waltz of Pain" Sad Song - Newsgrounds Audio Portal
  26. Kronos Quartet: Bach, Monks, and Shakespeare Meet in Water - Ghost Opera
  27. Küz: ? - Moist Filth
  28. Christopher Willits: milkweed - SMM vol. 2
  29. Andrew Bird: 11:11 - Bowls of Fire/The Swimming Hour
  30. Soviet Red Army Choir: Soviet National Anthem - Soviet/Chinese Propaganda
  31. Asuka Sakai: Fugue #7777 - Katamari Damacy Soundtrack
  32. Amanda Palmer: Creep (Hungover at Soundcheck in Berlin) - Amanda Palmer Performs The Popular Hits of Radiohead on Her Magical Ukulele
Sehr gut:
  1. War of the Worlds: I used a Mozart quintet that my friend suggested, which was the perfect thing to layer with this. Classical music supplements spoken word so perfectly, and can add a huge depth of emotion, since classical music shifts so constantly, and is complicated emotionally itself.
  2. Erlkönig/Ectomorph: This is definitely one of my favorite moments. I love this poem, and I love the Schubert art song, so this was a bit of a blast from the past. The reading went oddly well with the Ectomorph song, and interestingly enough--as if the Universe was sending its regards--the end of the Ectomorph LP started skipping in a pleasant enough place for the Goethe to keep playing out, which allowed me to fade out whenever I wanted. Thanks Universe!
  3. Soviet National Anthem: GREAT FIND! I can't wait to play more of these. I love the sound of this, and I love that it's called "Soviet/Chinese Propaganda," because it reminds me that propaganda comes in all forms, not just visual as we are so used to.
Nicht so gut:
  1. Choosing Amanda Palmer right before 6am: Yeaaaaaaah, so I'm not supposed to play swear words in songs after 6am. I didn't realize how close I cut it until I played the Amanda Palmer. That is her vocabulary. Not a huge deal, but something I need to be more conscious of when I play something from my personal library.
  2. Majora's Theme: I can't decide whether this was good or bad, so I'm going with bad. This was a bit of a weak moment, because I wanted to fill in some space after the Mozart finished, but before I started the Billie Holiday. I thought this would go well with the theme of the broadcast, but I think it created a weak patch of thoughtlessness on my part.
  3. Pauses: There were a few awkward pauses, but not a big deal. The beginning one was the longest because I forgot to pay attention to how long the legal ID was.
Partake and enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment