Friday, April 13, 2012

Dead White Guys #2 - 3/25/12

Right Click/Ctrl-Click to Download Dead White Guys #2 Here


Stephen Eddy as Shadow (L),
Jonas Hacker as Tom Rakewell (R)
It's been awhile since I've done the classical show, so it feels good to be back! Had Dead White Guys' founder, Peter Grella, here for this show, and I had a lot of fun chatting with him! 


I meant to have this update up waaaay sooner, but c'est la vie de une studiente de musique. The majority of the show today was composed of "The Rake's Progress," which was put on by the University of Michigan as an official production. I went to the show twice--Saturday and Sunday, to see both casts--and I was really pleased with what I saw and heard. 

[Artist: Song - Album]
  1. Cleveland Orchestra: O Fortuna - Orff: Carmina Burana
  2. John Adams: American Berserk - Road Movies
  3. L.A. Phil: Petrushka pt. 1 - Stravinsky: Petrushka/Circus Polka
  4. John Adams: Short Ride in a Fast Machine - John Adams
  5. Stravinsky: Agon
  6. Stravinsky: Pucinella Overture - Rite of Spring/Pucinella
  7. Vienna State Opera: The Rake's Progress - Stravinsky
  8. The Buthershop Quartet: The Rite of Spring - The Rite of Spring
  9. Vladimir Horowitz: Faure: Nocturne No. 13, Op. 119 - The Horowitz Concerts 1977/1978
  10. Lou Harrison: Threnody for Carlos Chávez - Chamber and Gamelon Works
  11. Arthur Robinstein and Guarneri Quartet: Brahms: Piano Quintet in F minor, Op. 34 - Dvorak Brahms Piano Quintets
  12. Henry Cowell: Three Anti-Modernist Songs - Instrumental, Chamber and Vocal Music 1
  13. Salome Kammer: Berstein: I hate music - I Hate Music
  14. Christopher Adler: The Wind Blows Inside - Epilogue For A Dark Day
  15. Morton Feldman: Vertical Thoughts 5 - Only
  16. Matthew Adkins: Ambient Instrumental - [60]Project
  17. University of Michigan Opera Theatre: Act I - Armide
Good:
  1. Rake's Progress: 'nuff said. 
  2. Armide: Damn! It was nice to hear this again after singing it sophomore year. Thanks to the listener that suggested playing someone done by the University! 
  3. Frieeeeends: It was awesome to have someone to talk to on the show for more than a few minutes. 
Bad:
  1. Rake's Progress in Italian: Um, ew. That was atrocious. I'm still happy I played it, but...wow. 
  2. Levels: I didn't realize how quiet the music was. With headphones on it comes through really clearly, but when I was listening back to it, you could barely hear the music. I'll remember that. 
  3. Less talking?: Although I really enjoyed talking to Peter, I wonder if it was too much talking. Is that something you want on a Sunday morning, or would you rather have straight music?
More updates to come! Thanks for sticking with me!

No comments:

Post a Comment