Saturday, March 3, 2012

Subshow #15 - 2/29/12

Right Click/Ctrl-Click to Download Subshow #15 Here

I'm only 55 years old! Weeee!
Happy Leap Year and Happy Birthday Gioachino Rossini, folks!

I knew I wanted to start this set off right when I heard that it was Rossini's birthday, because he is a composer near and dear to my heart. I've sung a lot of his music, I've watched a lot of his operas, and I think that if he were alive, we might be able to have a beer together pretty easily. Maybe that's my classical fangirl side coming out though. I was very happy to play so much Rossini, and especially to find the Bugs Bunny clip online. I also got a call requesting The Thieving Magpie (La gazza ladra) from a listener, which I wouldn't have found on the "A Clockwork Orange" soundtrack. So thanks!

Janelle Monae as a robot. NBD.
The second major part of my show was space themed, but not for any reason, and definitely not intentionally. I think it started with Rare Air, and was broken up by Doctor Zhivago and Nicolai Gedda, and continued until the end, which really makes up about half my show. And I would date to call the mini Russian set "Zhivago in Space," simply to keep the theme in tact. While I was slowly realizing the monster I had created with the space theme, I started to get a few calls into the station. One request for Mose Allison, and another request for Blackalicious. If I hadn't gotten that extra push to keep the theme going, I think I might have given up. After I got those requests, something stirred inside me, and I not only wanted to keep finding space/chemistry themed songs/artist, but it was almost a compulsion. If I didn't find something, I would have failed myself.

I forgot how long 2.5 hours is for some reason. The last time I did a 3-hour show is when I had my 3-6am slot last semester. Since then I've pretty much only done 1-2 hour slots. It's amazing what an extra 30 minutes can do for your creativity. One to the playlist, and I hope you enjoy it! Perhaps you should buy a cup of coffee and sit down with a comic before you listen. Take a few hours off. 

[Artist: Song - Album]
  1. Toscanini and the NBC Symphony Orchestra: Barber of Seville Overture - Rossini Overtures
  2. Milan Symphony Orchestra: Dunque io son! - Rossini: The Barber of Seville
  3. Various: What's Opera, Doc? - That's All Folks!
  4. Rossini: The Thieving Magpie (Abridge) - A Clockwork Orange
  5. Various: Bugs Bunny Barber of Seville - YouTube
  6. New York Philharmonic: Quartet (Andante) - Rossini: Stabat Mater
  7. Final Fantasy: This Lamb Sells Condos - He Poos Clouds
  8. Ella Fitzgerald: A Foggy Day - Jazz at the Philharmonic
  9. Gnawa Bambara: Sasadi Manayou - Mallem Abdenbi El Gadari
  10. Múm: I little bit, sometimes - Go Go Smear The Poison Ivy
  11. Aretha Franklin: Don't Play That Song - Live At Fillmore West
  12. Cheapshot: Ieyasu - zOMG!!
  13. Chico Mann: Guárdalo (El Silencio) - Analog Drift
  14. Harry Belafonte: Scarlet Ribbons (For Her Hair) - Harry Belafonte
  15. Bhai Gaitonde: Drut Laya - Bhai Gaitonde (tabla)
  16. Märtini Brös: The Biggest Fan - Primavera Sound 2003
  17. EAS TEST
  18. Dream Warriors: Man Smart, Woman Smarter - Buffy The Vampire Slayer Movie OST
  19. Rare Air: C'est Fou, C'est Toi, C'est Tout - Space Piper
  20. Maurice Jarre: At The Hospital - Doctor Zhivago OST
  21. Nicolai Gedda: Grey Foggy Morning - Evening Bells & Other Russian Folk Songs
  22. Maurice Jarre: Lara Is Charming - Doctor Zhivago OST
  23. The Bucketheads: Time And Space - All In The Mind
  24. Press: Over The Moon - The Fine Art of a White Label
  25. Barret Clark: (side 1) - Introduction to Atomic Energy and Outer Space
  26. Fushitsusha: (track 1) - DBL Live vol. 1
  27. Cyclob: we never said goodbye - Music System vol. 1
  28. Mose Allison: Your Molecular Structure - The Best of Mose Allison
  29. Polysics: Ceolakanth Is Android - Now is the time!
  30. Blackalicious: Chemical Calesthenics - Blazing Arrow
  31. The Cambodian Space Project: Wait 10 Months More - 2011: A Space Odyssey
  32. Starscream: Space Party Anthem - Future, and It Doesn't Work
  33. DJ Food: All Covered In Darkness - The Search Engine
  34. John Williams: Across the Stars - Stars Wars Episode II Attack of the Clones Soundtrack Special
  35. Janelle Monae: Violet Stars Happy Hunting!!! - Metropolis: The Chase Suite
  36. Science Fiction Dance Party: Monster on Saturn I - Dance With Action
ZOMG!:
  1. Rossini: I was talking to another DJ, and we both agreed that at a non-freeform station, playing the same artist 5 songs in a row would not be allowed, but because we're WCBN, we can celebrate Rossini's birthday properly.
  2. Ella: Because I had just come in from the fog, I really enjoyed playing "A Foggy Day," and I hope it made the fog a bit more romantic for someone. 
  3. Atomic Energy layering: Within the space theme, this was definitely my favorite moment. I loved layering just a couple of simple things and letting it play out. It's rare that I get a voice-only track to layer with music, and this was a piece of gold. 
NOMG!:
  1. Kill da Wabbit: I really didn't want to play this track. I meant to play the Barber of Seville Bugs Bunny track, but apparently that wasn't on the CD. Womp womp.
  2. EAS TEST: Not that I can do anything about it, but I hope it doesn't bother you too much.
  3. Not enough Star Wars: I should have played this whole effing CD when I found it. It's so good.
Live long and prosper, listeners. 

No comments:

Post a Comment