Tuesday, June 7, 2011

Subshow #1 - June 6th

Right Click/Ctrl-Click to Download Subshow #1 Here

Something I realized that I should do more often is be a substitute DJ when people need it. I subbed for a Radio Rama Lama Fa fa fa or Booze Broads Boards and Rods yesterday night for a 50/60s soul, garage, and surf music set (none of which I know anything about), and had SO MUCH FUN.

I initially started with some suggestions from the original hosts of some compilations of psychedelic/surf music that would be easy to pull from, and I also grabbed some Marvin Gaye for myself because that's the only soul music I KNEW was 50/60s. After getting a feel for the compilations I decided to head to the soul vinyl and look at the dates on the back...but that took too long, so I ended up Googling 50/60s soul. Guess what I found: Aretha Franklin, Freddie Scott, Marvin Gaye, etc. I also had in the back of my mind that I wanted to play my favorite album in the library: Ike and Tina Turner Revue. Which miraculously was the right era.

Playlist [Artist: Track - Album]:
  1.  Smokey Robinson and the Miracles: Mickey's Monkey - Smokey Robinson and the Miracles
  2. Smokey Robinson and the Miracles: Going to a Go-Go - (same as above)
  3. Marvin Gaye: Main Theme from Trouble Man - Trouble Man Soundtrack
  4. Michael and the Messengers: Romeo and Juliet - Nuggets 1
  5. Marvin Gaye: Poor Abbey Walsh - Trouble Man
  6. The Illusions: Jezabel - Cowabunga Big Waves
  7. Chocolate Watch Band: Let's Talk About Girls - Nuggets 1
  8. Marvin Gaye: It's a Desperate Situation - Love Starved Heart
  9. The Blazers: Beaver Patrol - Cowabunga Big Waves
  10. Smokey Robinson and the Miracles: More Love - (same as above)
  11. Smokey Robinson and the Miracles: We've Come Too Far To End It Now - (same as above)
  12. Marvin Gaye: This Love Starved Heart is Killing Me - Love Starved Heart
  13. The Lollipop Shoppe: You Must Be A Witch - Nuggets 3
  14. Ike and Tina Turner with the Kings of Rhythm Orchestra: All I Could Do Was Cry/Please, Please, Please - Ike and Tina Turner Revue
  15. Desi Arnaz: Babalu - Babalu
  16. The Troubadors: My Isle of Golden Dreams - The Troubadors in Hawaii
  17. Deep City Band: Masterpiece - Eccentric Soul #17
  18. Mermen: Honeybomb (Live) - Cowabunga New Waves
  19. Dyke & The Blazers: So Sharp - We Got More Soul
  20. The Persuasions: Persuasions Theme - I Just Want to Sing With My Friends
  21. The Persuasions: I Just Want To Sing With My Friends - (same as above)
  22. Insect Surfers: Polaris - Cowabunga New Waves
  23. The Troubadors: Beyond the Reef - The Troubadors in Hawaii
  24. Aretha Franklin: ? - Queen of Soul
  25. Freddie Scott: You Got What I Need - The Best of Freddie Scott
  26. Aretha Franklin: ? - Queen of Soul
  27. The Surf Raiders: Wave Walk'n - Cowabunga New Waves
  28. Freddie Scott: Am I Grooving You? - The Best of Freddie Scott
  29. The Troubadors: The One Rose/Pagan Love Song - The Troubadors in Hawaii
  30. Ike and Tina Turner: Am I A Fool In Love - Ike and Tina Turner Revue
  31. We The People: You Burn Me Up and Down - Nuggets 4
  32. The Ventures: Batman Theme - The Ventures
  33. James Brown: Make It Funky - Soul Brother no. 1
  34. The Ventures: Secret Agent Man - The Ventures
  35. James Brown: Super Bad - Soul Brother no. 1
Things I loved:
  1. I loved the Aretha Franklin/Troubadors layering, and I got a text from a friend saying that he really liked it too. I wasn't so sure about it at first, but it sort of settled in I think.
  2. I love being able to play that Ike and Tina Turner CD. It gets me every time. I also was talking over the CD a bit, which was just plain fun. 
  3. I Got What You Need by Freddie Scott. 'Nuff said.

Things not so great:
  1. The last song wasn't actually Dyke & The Blazers! It was actually James Brown, and I'm sort of sad I didn't get to play the song I wanted. 
  2. I regret playing so many things from the same albums. I had too much Marvin Gaye, too much Smokey Robinson, and too much James Brown at the end. That definitely comes from not knowing a lot about the genres though, so hopefully I'll know better for next time.
  3. When I went on the air I said too much of the same thing. I need to sort of vary it up. And as my roommate mentioned to me a few times, I need to stop saying "um" and "uh" so much.
Thanks to everyone who's listening to my shows. I've probably been a bit annoying talking and posting on Facebook about it so much, but I've gotten so much encouragement, and it really motivates me to play more music!

No comments:

Post a Comment